martes, 19 de mayo de 2009

POUND: The Play


I just had the opportunity to read the play POUND by William Roetzheim and I found it great, not only for the mastery in the way he manages the scene, but for the treatment he gave to Pound’s Personae. Here is the complete commentary I made for him, and that I want to share with you.

William,
I really appreciate your work, I just finished the reading... and the play liked me a lot...it is the trial of none sense...the fact that you involved the audience as a jury...knowing that Pound did not wrote for ordinary people, massed by the system, results a paradoxical element...and the ending of the play when he is found Guilty, but specially Not Guilty... reinforced this paradox and sustained the whole thought and spirit of Pound.
I found some great passages that reveal Pound as an actual critic of our times, that in page 11 and 12 where he talks about art, (His criticism to the intervention of the US in the world war II against Italy had a stretch relation with the defense of Art as a Tradition, with the defense of the highest spirit of humankind represented by the classics and opposed to the consuming society that infects whatever it touches) Or the other scene, when he talks about the economical issues, or his political statements against the interventionism of the US Government…I found all that in force with our time.
This is not surprising if we consider that Pound wrote for the Personae…the most authentic essence of the individual, he certainly did not wrote for a mass, not even for the conventional individuality, as members of a consumers’ club. He wrote for those who think and act according with their own, and more, for those connecting with their similar in their authenticity. And if we consider too, that our society is more and more becoming a society of individuals, of Personae… despite the strong forces of Manichaeism to get control of minds through life’s style. Then it will not surprise us that Pound’s voice grows at the present time.
I want to congratulate you for this lucid work and even when I am not a theater expert I do found the setting of the scenes vivid, they create an atmosphere that captures.
Thanks a lot for shearing it with me.
Sincerely,
Ivonne

No hay comentarios: